Resources for Victoria Writers
The Canadian Authors Association has information for writers that have been financially, physically, emotionally, and/or psychologically affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Scroll down for federal, provincial and artist relief funds.
For Victoria Writers
These links are aimed at writers in the Victoria (Vancouver Island) area and were originally maintained by Russ for the Canadian Authors Association Victoria & Islands Branch.
The Canadian Authors Association (CAA) is a national organization with a local presence dedicated to promoting a flourishing community of writers across Canada and to encourage works of literary and artistic merit.
Local writing groups provide you with a place to improve your craft and a solution to the solitude writing requires.
- Canadian Authors Association Victoria.
- Vancouver Island Romance Authors.
- Victoria Creative Writing Group.
- The Victoria Writers' Society (annual writing contest).
BC writing groups sponsor awards, contests and workshops.
National writing organizations are better equipped to lobby for improved copyright and other writers' concerns.
- Association for Canadian and Québec Literatures (ACQL).
- Association of Italian Canadian Writers.
- Canadian Association of Journalists.
- Canadian Authors Association (CAA).
- Canadian Science Writers' Association.
- Canadian Society of Children's Authors, Illustrators and Performers (CANSCAIP).
- Crime Writers of Canada.
- InScribe Christian Writers' Fellowship.
- League of Canadian Poets.
- Literary Translators' Association of Canada (Association des traducteurs et traductrices littéraires du Canada).
- Playwrights Guild of Canada.
- Professional Writers Association of Canada (PWAC) (formerly the Periodical Writers Association of Canada).
- The Word Guild — Canadian writers and editors who are Christian.
- Writers Guild of Canada.
- Writers' Union of Canada.
Local Readings & Events
Looking for opportunities to read or to hear other writers read in Victoria?
This is a list of some of the local publishers on the Island (mostly Victoria) that maintain a website. The descriptions provided are subject to change.
Check the publisher's site to see what they've published to determine if your book or piece will fit in. The publisher's Writer's Guidelines page is usually a great place to start.
- Ekstasis Editions is a Canadian literary publisher, with emphasis on poetry, fiction and criticism.
- Island Writer Magazine accepts submissions (PDF–7 KB) for the magazine from both established and emerging writers currently living on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.
- Leaf Press (Lantzville) publishes poetry chapbooks.
- The Malahat Review is Canada's leading literary journal. Published quarterly, it features Canadian and international poetry and fiction as well as reviews of new books by Canadian writers.
- Neo-opsis Science Fiction Magazine is more likely to publish stories that are less than 6000 words and fit a science fiction or fantasy theme.
- Orca Book Publishers looks for quality books for children and young adults.
- Sono Nis Press is a publisher of juvenile fiction for ages 9–14, regional (British Columbian) history, transportation history (railway, nautical, aviation), historical biography, pioneer autobiography, and women's studies.
- Association of Book Publishers of British Columbia (ABPBC)
- Magazine Association of BC (formerly BC Association of Magazine Publishers).
Canadian Indie Book Publishers & Bookstores
- Spica Book Design specializes in book design but also offers printing, marketing and editing.
- Printorium Bookworks (Island Blue Print) provides Print-on-Demand self-publishing services.
- First Choice Books provides professional publishing and printing services including ebooks.
- ARC Document Solutions (formerly Hillside Printing) does on-demand publishing.
- Resources for Writers on book proposals, literary agents and more from ABPBC.
- The Self Publishing Expert, Suzanne Anderson, offers courses and services about designing, printing and selling your book.
This latest edition of LibreOffice boasts much better file compatibility with Microsoft Office documents. In addition, you can now export Writer documents to the ePub ebook format. You can also import QuarkXPress files. In short, if you want to publish ebooks straight from LibreOffice, you can now. — ZDNet
See the Warnings & Advisories section to help you determine legitimate resources and avoid getting scammed.
Copyright & Contracts
- Access Copyright
- Public Lending Rights Commission compensates authors for the free public access to their works.
- The CAA FAQs contains advice on publishing, agents, ISBN and copyright.
- Contract Advice according to PWAC.
- WritersServices — over 6000 pages of free information for writers.
- Professional Editors Association of Vancouver Island.
- The Editors' Association of Canada.
- EdX: Write Your Novel is a series of six-week non-credit online courses designed to take your novel from concept to completion.
- Fernwood Writers Workshops.
- Metchosin International Summer School of the Arts (Writing).
- The University of Victoria's.
- Deepam Wadds offers writing retreats as well as evening and one-day workshops in Victoria.
- West Coast Screenwriting offers course on screenwriting (and discounts to CAA members).
Writing Conferences & Festivals
- Surrey International Writers' Conference held in October each year.
- Craig's List Victoria Writing Gigs where writers can find writing gigs posted for the Victoria area.
- Craig's List Victoria Writing/Editing Jobs where writers can find writing jobs posted for the Victoria area.
- Canadian Writer's Journal includes markets, contests and new writing ideas.
- Writers Write: Writer's Guidelines Directory.
- The Ultimate Freelance Writing Career Guide has some very useful (U.S.) links to forums and freelance work resources.
- BC Book Prizes.
- Victoria Book Prizes $5,000 prizes awarded annually to Victoria authors.
- The Malahat Review's writing contests.
Help for Senior Writers
- The Canadian Writers' Foundation is a registered charity to help Canada's senior writers when they fall on hard times.
Language and writing references.
- The Elements of Style
- Language Toolbox - iTools
- OneLook Dictionary Search
- The Apostrophe Protection Society.
- The University of Victoria's Hypertext Writer's Guide (no longer available — archived March 13, 2016 on the WayBackMachine).
Sources not necessarily directly related to writing, but useful to writers.
- Russ Harvey Consulting Computer & Internet Services
- Russ Harvey's Self-help Resources (computer and Internet information).
- Russ Harvey's Medical Links.